Why is it that more men than women snore and is it bad for your health?
What is snoring?
Snoring is noisy breathing which happens when we sleep.
Four in ten men snore with only three out of ten women and is the cause of many a sleepness night.
There are several causes which include:
- Alcohol or sedatives
- Illnesses affecting the upper airways
- Sleeping on your back
- Colds or allergies
- Older people due to muscular weakness that occurs with age
There are some self-help ideas that may help to prevent or minimize snoring:
- Losing weight can help
- Don’t consume rich foods or alcohol before bedtime
- Stop smoking
- Keep your head raised by putting pillows under it
- Try sleeping on your side
- Blow your nose before going to bed
There are other solutions, thankfully to sleeping in separate bedrooms. The first step is to identify the cause. When you get to the bottom of this then you can find the right cure to a quieter, less disturbed sleep. If needed medical advice shoud be sought.
Sleep well and sleep happy.