Do you tantalise your tootsies?
We demand a lot from our feet and this is an area we often neglect and take for granted.
During a lifetime your feet may walk the equivalent of four times around the world, so its essential that you take good care of them.
- Wash your feet every day in warm soapy water, rinse them thoroughly and dry with a towel
- Make sure your feet are completely dry (especially between your toes) before putting on socks and shoes
- Trim your toenails on a regular basis using nail clippers making sure you cut straight across to avoid in-growing toenails
- Massage your feet gently upward from the toes toward the knees to get blood flowing freely
- If you have dry skin on your feet you should apply moisturising cream (except between your toes)
- Buy new shoes in the afternoon as your feet can swell during the day
- Make sure the shoes are wide enough. Check to see whether there is enough room for your toes to wriggle in the shoe
- There should be a half inch gap between the tip of your toes and the end of your shoes
- Footwear with leather uppers and rubber soles will be the most comfortable
- Its important to get your feet measured as you get older as the size and shape can change
Wearing the wrong shoes can lead to foot deformity, sprained ankles, torn ligaments, shin splints, knee pain, lower back pain and other joint or muscle problems.
Foot problems such as smelly feet, athlete’s foot, warts, corns and infected toenails can all be alleviated through good foot care.
So go on, spoil yourself, give yourself a home pedicure.
Avoid costly trips to the chiropodist/podiatrists, be kind to your feet and tantalise your tootsies!